Developed With Pools in Mind
RISC initiatives are developed around common member needs and areas of interest. We leverage the strength and collective purchasing power of our members to support select opportunities to access resources, education and hands on development. Some of these initiatives are offered in partnership with other organizations or associations.
Explore our initiatives below.
Learn how your pool can take advantage of and participate in these offerings.
NLC-RISC, AGRiP and CAJPA are partnering to develop Pooling Academy, a comprehensive and interactive online learning center for the public entity pooling community. Pooling Academy will include an updated Pooling Basics curriculum, as well as in-depth content on core pooling functions. Through multi-modal courses appropriate for professional learners, Pooling Academy will:
- Help fill the talent pipeline by introducing key pooling concepts to newcomers, including governing bodies and staff-serving pool operations
- Provide a leadership development resource to train up-and-coming pool leaders in subjects unique to public entity pooling
- Provide continuing education for experienced pool professionals
Content in the Pooling Academy is created by the pooling community, for the pooling community, with the assistance of subject-matter experts from across the country.
Disaster Recovery & Continuity of Operations Planning
The pandemic and natural disasters experienced across the country have emphasized the importance of continuity of operations planning (COOP) and disaster recovery. NLC-RISC partners with Agility Recovery to provide flexible solutions to meet the varying COOP needs of pools and cities of all sizes. Agility offers access to planning, training and testing resources, emergency communications and alerts, and mobile disaster recovery solutions all in a central hub – comprehensive yet simple solutions to help organizations plan for and manage disasters and emergencies.
Risk pools across the country offer online training as part of their ongoing loss control programs. Our partnership with Lexipol includes discounts for NLC-RISC members to provide online learning from LocalGovU, PoliceOne Academy, and Fire Rescue1 Academy. Lexipol also offers a comprehensive policy manual solution that includes customizable policies, updates and proactive training in a web -based platform.
Cyber Security & Data Breach
With business operations continually shifting to virtual environments, preparing for cyber-attacks is of the utmost importance. NLC-RISC’s partnership with NetDiligence® offers municipalities tools to create cyber response plans and provides access to highly skilled third party resources. This allows pool members to more efficiently and cost-effectively respond and recover from a cyber incident.
The eRiskHub® portal, powered by NetDiligence®, is an effective way to help pool members combat cyber losses with minimal, controlled, and predictable costs. This portal provides tools and resources to help members understand their exposures, respond to incidents effectively, and minimize the effects of breaches on their organizations.
Special Event Coverage (TULIP)
Intact Entertainment provides event liability through a Tenant Users Liability Insurance Policy (TULIP). Coverage is available for a variety of events from weddings and receptions to seminars, birthday parties and concerts. TULIP provides low-cost general liability insurance to third-party users of various venues and facilities for events.
Member Job Postings & RFPs
Association of Washington Cities
- AWC is recruiting for a full-time Program Manager for the AWC Risk Management Service Agency to join a dynamic and fast-paced team. The top candidate will have strong leadership and interpersonal skills with knowledge of risk pools. To apply for this position and view the job description, please visit the AWC website.
- AWC is recruiting for a full-time Claims Coordinator for the AWC Risk Management Service Agency to join a dynamic and fast-paced team. The top candidate will have strong claims handling experience and interpersonal skills with knowledge of risk pools. To apply for this position and view the job description, please visit the AWC website.
- The AWC Employee Benefit Trust is soliciting proposals for self-funded PPO dental administration and network access. A non-disclosure agreement is required for all submissions. All responses are due no later than 5:00 PM September 10, 2021. Questions related to this RFP with your intent to bid should be sent to Aon (contact information included in RFP description) by 5:00 PM August 20. Responses will be provided to all bidders by August 27.
Massachusetts Interlocal Insurance Association
- The Massachusetts Interlocal Insurance Association (MIIA) is seeking an Enrollment Representative to join the Health Benefits Trust team. The Trust provides insurance coverage for the employees and retirees of 140 cities, towns, and other municipal entities in Massachusetts. To apply for the position, please send a PDF of your cover letter and resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Montana Municipal Interlocal Authority
- MMIA is seeking a Risk Management professional with a solid understanding of risk in the public sector and strong training and leadership skills. Based in Helena, MT, MMIA is a risk retention pool providing self-funded coverage in liability, property, workers’ compensation, and employee benefits to cities and towns across Montana. To learn more, visit the MMIA website.
- MMIA is seeking a Workers’ Compensation Examiner with strong case management and decision-making skills, knowledge of Workers’ Compensation regulations and the ability to offer exceptional service in a busy work environment. Based in Helena, MT, MMIA is a risk retention pool providing self-funded coverage in liability, property, workers’ compensation, and employee benefits to cities and towns across Montana. To learn more, visit the MMIA website.
Vermont League of Cities and Towns
- VLCT is seeking an experienced Manager, Loss Control. This professional management position within the Risk Management Services Department is responsible for managing the activities of Loss Control Division staff and member-focused programs for VLCT PACIF, a statewide property, casualty, and workers’ compensation insurance fund. The successful candidate will provide loss control services directly to a modest number of municipalities in northwestern Vermont in addition to management duties.