Developed With Pools in Mind
RISC initiatives are developed around common member needs and areas of interest. We leverage the strength and collective purchasing power of our members to support select opportunities to access resources, education and hands on development. Some of these initiatives are offered in partnership with other organizations or associations.
Explore our initiatives below.
Learn how your pool can take advantage of and participate in these offerings.
NLC-RISC, AGRiP and CAJPA are partnering to develop Pooling Academy, a comprehensive and interactive online learning center for the public entity pooling community. Pooling Academy will include an updated Pooling Basics curriculum, as well as in-depth content on core pooling functions. Through multi-modal courses appropriate for professional learners, Pooling Academy will:
- Help fill the talent pipeline by introducing key pooling concepts to newcomers, including governing bodies and staff-serving pool operations
- Provide a leadership development resource to train up-and-coming pool leaders in subjects unique to public entity pooling
- Provide continuing education for experienced pool professionals
Content in the Pooling Academy is created by the pooling community, for the pooling community, with the assistance of subject-matter experts from across the country.
Disaster Recovery & Continuity of Operations Planning
The pandemic and natural disasters experienced across the country have emphasized the importance of continuity of operations planning (COOP) and disaster recovery. NLC-RISC partners with Agility Recovery to provide flexible solutions to meet the varying COOP needs of pools and cities of all sizes. Agility offers access to planning, training and testing resources, emergency communications and alerts, and mobile disaster recovery solutions all in a central hub – comprehensive yet simple solutions to help organizations plan for and manage disasters and emergencies.
Risk pools across the country offer online training as part of their ongoing loss control programs. Our partnership with Lexipol includes discounts for NLC-RISC members to provide online learning from LocalGovU, PoliceOne Academy, and Fire Rescue1 Academy. Lexipol also offers a comprehensive policy manual solution that includes customizable policies, updates and proactive training in a web -based platform.
Cyber Security & Data Breach
With business operations continually shifting to virtual environments, preparing for cyber-attacks is of the utmost importance. NLC-RISC’s partnership with NetDiligence® offers municipalities tools to create cyber response plans and provides access to highly skilled third party resources. This allows pool members to more efficiently and cost-effectively respond and recover from a cyber incident.
The eRiskHub® portal, powered by NetDiligence®, is an effective way to help pool members combat cyber losses with minimal, controlled, and predictable costs. This portal provides tools and resources to help members understand their exposures, respond to incidents effectively, and minimize the effects of breaches on their organizations.
Special Event Coverage (TULIP)
Intact Entertainment provides event liability through a Tenant Users Liability Insurance Policy (TULIP). Coverage is available for a variety of events from weddings and receptions to seminars, birthday parties and concerts. TULIP provides low-cost general liability insurance to third-party users of various venues and facilities for events.
The inaugural year of the NLC-RISC Mentor Program was a great success and we are very excited for the next program cohort.
The NLC-RISC Mentor Program provides a great benefit with a small annual time commitment, 15-20 hours, including programs we arrange for the group. Most mentor groups meet once a month for an hour or less. All RISC member staff are eligible to participate with approval from their Pool Administrator.
For more details, download the NLC-RISC Mentor Program Description here.
The application process for the 2021-2022 NLC-RISC Mentor Program is closed. We will be accepting applications for the 2022-2023 program in the fall of 2022.
Member Job Postings & RFPs
Citycounty Insurance Services (CIS) Oregon
- CIS is recruiting for a Property Liability Claims Consultant, who would be responsible for the investigation, evaluation, and resolution of all aspects of claims of police and jail liability, employment liability, auto liability, land use claims, defamation claims, bodily injury including death claims, personal injury claims and other types of public entity liability and first party and 3rd party property claims.
- CIS is recruiting for a Benefits Representative. This position serves as the primary contact for employee benefits program services; working with existing CIS members to explain all benefit plans and options, resolve benefits issues, reconcile accounts, be a liaison between carriers, vendors, and members, conduct meetings with members and employees to explain benefits, options, and choices.
Florida League of Cities
- FLC is seeking a Litigation Specialist. This individual would be responsible for handling complex, high exposure and litigated general, police and employment liability claims for the members of the Florida League of Cities in compliance with approved claim policies & procedures and industry best practices. Candidates must be a licensed insurance adjuster in the state of Florida and have experience with liability claims, including commercial liability, commercial property, and auto claims.
Massachusetts Interlocal Insurance Association
- MIIA is seeking a Manager of Retiree Programs. The MIIA Health Benefits Trust provides insurance coverage for the employees and retirees of 150 cities, towns, and other municipal entities in Massachusetts. The Manager of Retiree Programs would be responsible for ongoing planning, implementation and evaluation of key innovative projects and pilots aimed at reducing retiree health care costs for the Trust.
Rhode Island Interlocal Risk Management Trust
- The Trust is seeking a Graphic Design Communications Representative. This individual would be responsible for creating modern innovative designs to establish and maintain a consistent message conveying The Trust’s brand, core values and operating philosophy. As a Member-owned and managed organization, The Trust’s overarching goal is to provide its Members with the highest standards of service, risk management and insurance programs.
Vermont League of Cities and Towns
- VLCT is seeking an experienced Manager, Loss Control (Remote). This professional management position within the Risk Management Services Department is responsible for managing the activities of Loss Control Division staff and member-focused programs for VLCT PACIF, a statewide property, casualty, and workers’ compensation insurance fund. The successful candidate will provide loss control services directly to a modest number of municipalities in northwestern Vermont in addition to management duties.